Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Under Construction

OK, I believe I am ready to start some seeds in the vegetable garden. I've expanded the two 4' X 4' beds making two 4' X 8' beds, added walkways, put up the trellis for the peas and put up a temporary fence to keep the four footed creatures from running amok in the garden.

I discovered yesterday that my Ford Focus can hold 15 bags of wood chips with room left to see out the windows. I hauled 240 pounds of manure in it the other day too. Now if I could just figure out how to get a 20' tree in there I'd be a happy camper.

Anyway, back to the vegetable garden, I built the trellis for the peas today using two fence posts, two 8' pine boards, wingnuts, washers and bolts and netting. Oh yeah and a ladder, staple gun, and a hammer.



First I pounded the fence posts into the ground, about 6' apart then attached the 8' boards to the fence posts using the bolts, washers and wingnuts. You will need to drill holes into the boards to match the holes in the fence posts. I've been using this trellis for several years so I forgot about the holes as they were already drilled in my boards. Using bolts and wingnuts makes it easy to assemble and dis-assemble when you're finished, you can store it and use it again next year.

I then attached the netting to the boards using the staple gun*. I used pine boards for two reasons, they are easier to put staples into and I had some left over from another project, but any type of wood will work and you can easily mak
e it to fit your garden.


You can't see the netting but it's there.

According to the Farmer's Almanac the best time to plant flowers and vegetables that bear crops above ground is during the light of the Moon; that is, from the day the Moon is new to the day it is full. Flowering bulbs and vegetables that bear crops below ground should be planted during the dark of the Moon; that is, from the day after it is full to the day before it is new again.

I've not used the Farmer's Almanac in the past but thought I would try it this year, a little something new. Therefore I will be planting the peas (early) April 24th and (late) July 24th, Beans will go in (early) May 7th and (late) June 26th. By early and late I mean, I will have to harvests one early and one later in the season.

Peppers, Tomatoes and Zucchini will all get planted May 24th. Beings I always get anxious I will probably put in a couple peas and bean seeds in the ground this weekend just to compare them with the Farmer's Almanac plantings. See if there is anything to this planting by the moon thing.

I had a friend offer to supply me with pesto if I grew basil so I will be putting that into the garden as well along with a few other herbs.

* check to make sure you have staples before getting started :) or you'll be making a run to the hardware store in the middle of your project.

No comments:

Post a Comment