Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Difference a Day Makes

The temperature in the backyard was a sunny 75 on Friday, and that's in the shade.


I have lots of worms in the backyard and they wreak havoc in the lawn, if we get a lot of rain the backyard smells like worms, not very pleasant. However I've decided to take a different approach to my worm issues.

I'm putting them to work! Free labor. You see worms are nature's rototillers, so as I'm digging in the garden I put them aside and when I get a pile I move them to the compost bin. Now they work for me! If anyone is looking for worms, whether you want them for fishing or your own backyard you just come on over, I have enough for everyone.


I've finished digging the Memorial Flower garden. The birch trees will go about where the shovel is sticking out. You can see the rhubarb is coming in nicely as well as the peonies. I have a couple other plants coming in but I can't identify them at this stage, I'll need them to get a little bigger first. I've incorporated the sugar maple into the garden. This tree was given to me by a neighbor of my parents, it has spent several months in a bucket of water before I got it so I was not sure how well it would do but this is the second year since I planted it and it's looking good.


Lash the ever watchful guard dog, keeping watch over the backyard. Always on alert for any type of food source that may find it's way into the yard.


April 22, 2009


April 24, 2009, it's amazing how quickly things change in the backyard! If you ever have questions about life, death, re-birth you just need to spend a little time in the garden all the answers you seek are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment