Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend Update


The bell peppers have finally decided to make an appearance.

Over the past weekend I spent a lot of time in the backyard. The vegetable garden is ready, I'll be planting the bean and pea seeds this Friday. I've decided I also want to try to grow Asparagus and Carrots. I've not had luck with carrots in the past but I'm adding sand to the garden in a couple sections and think that should help. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

I have dug most of the memorial garden. I still need to tweak it a bit but it's ready for the birch trees. Julie and Cassidy stopped by the backyard on Saturday. Sometime this week Julie is going to help me get the trees, she has a trailer so it should be pretty simple. Between the two of us we should be able to carry them and I have a 10' gate in the back so we can just back the trailer into the yard.


I did some browsing at Linder's Garden Center on Saturday morning and found a number of plants I want for the memorial garden. It's a long list but the highlights are: Lilies, Coral Bells, Peonies (I already have my grandmothers plants, they're nearly 100 years old), Daisies, Bee Balm, Black Eye Susan, Verrigated Jacob's Ladder, Stone Crop, Echinacea (coneflower) and of course a cherry tomato plant for my little dog Ayla. Boy did she love cherry tomatoes, I dint eat them myself but I always put in one or two plants every year just for Ayla, she was so funny. She would snatch a tomato out of the garden and play with it until it broke open then she would eat it and go back for more. The memorial garden will be in the shape of a tear drop, thanks to Tara's observation, I think it's very fitting as I shed a lot of tears when my dogs passed.

If I can get the trees in this week then next weekend I will plant all the perennials. I also need to move the bush that is hanging out with the cactus before it wakes up. The cactus is going to take over that entire area.


I went to Macy's Flower Show Friday morning and picked up several ideas for the backyard. I'm hoping to incorporate a few this Summer. I'm feeling pretty good about getting my chores done, I am way ahead of last year. I think the warm weather we had this past week helped. We had rain pretty much all day today but I had to work and we needed it so it was a good thing. It's a wee bit chilly in the backyard tonight, down into the 40's, brrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment